It's just about time to begin picking those beautiful, delicious, antioxidant-filled orbs we call blueberries! On Cape Cod our harvest window is from July through September. If you are fortunate enough to have blueberry bushes on your property, lucky you! If not, following is a link to a map of pick-your-own farms in Massachusetts. CLICK HERE to link to the map.
Once you've picked a pint (or two!) what should you do with them? Make a cake of course! Or better yet, a blueberry buckle. Yum!
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl sift together dry ingredients.
- In another bowl combine eggs, milk, and shortening.
- Add milk combination to large bowl and mix well. Once smooth, stir two cups of blueberries into the batter.
- Add batter to greased springform pan.
- In a separate bowl mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter to make the topping.
- Sprinkle topping on top of batter in the Springform pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.