Our approach is to cater our services to meet your needs. While we can provide complete garden design, installation, and regular maintenance, we can also just help you plant your annuals or vegetable garden, weed a stubborn area, or pot up a few interesting containers for your patio. Our goal is that through our services we can help to ensure that you enjoy your gardens and that they will thrive both today and as they grow and mature into the future.
cape cod climate
Gardening on Cape Cod is a wonderful privilege. We enjoy a unique microclimate created by the Gulf Stream which makes temperatures warmer here than the rest of New England, with smaller sub-climates depending on whether your home is located near the ocean or inland. This allows us to utilize some plants which would not typically survive in our hardiness zone such as figs, camellias, and crape myrtle. Soil conditions also vary—from lines of heavy clay to sandy, porous soil that tends to be acidic. Embracing this diversity is what we're all about, working with nature by amending the soil with organic matter, utilizing native plants when appropriate, and celebrating the beautiful mix of plants and wildlife we're so lucky to live with!
The Sparrow Gardens crew consists of Suzanne Cheverie-Pugh and Rand Pugh, along with our dedicated team of gardeners. Suzanne, a former art director and graphic designer, blends her design background with her garden expertise to create beautiful landscapes. She is a member of the Cape Cod Organic Gardeners, a certified Master Gardener with the Master Gardeners of Cape Cod, and has worked as a professional gardener on the Cape for many years. Rand's experience incorporates numerous years spent as the proprietor of his own gardening company, Beds and Borders, and as the groundskeeper for an extensive private property here on Cape Cod.
- Garden Design - client consultation, site inspection, design plan and plant specifications
- Garden Renovation - renovation or restoration of garden beds, plant replacement, pruning
- Seasonal Maintenance - Initial spring clean-up and garden winterizing in late fall, seasonal annual plantings and perennial care (deadheading, staking, plant division), composting and fertilizing, weeding, pruning, disease and pest management
- Specialty Gardens - Vegetable garden installation and maintenance, herb gardens, shade gardens, cutting gardens
- Container Planting - Patio and landscape planter design and maintenance, window boxes, holiday greenery
schedule a consultation
Whether you require a single clean-up in the spring or fall or ongoing weekly seasonal maintenance, Sparrow Gardens can work with you to devise a maintenance schedule which fits your needs and your budget. Contact us to schedule a consultation and let us help you create the gardens you envision.